Now accepting applications for Summer 2019
The Department of Physics at Oklahoma State University is pleased to announce a new NSF REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) award, beginning in May, 2019. The grant will allow undergraduate physics majors to experience an intense 10-week summer research program working with faculty researchers in the Department of Physics. A summer research stipend is provided.
Between eight and ten undergraduate students will be supported each summer for ten weeks of research. The primary objective is to immerse students in a stimulating multidisciplinary research atmosphere that will allow the participants to pursue a personalized research project in physics. This REU program will develop human resources that enhance the nation's technology base and are critical for the well-being of society at-large.
Research projects are available in several research areas including Atomic Physics, Computational Physics, Experimental and Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics, Experimental and Theoretical High Energy Physics, Experimental and Theoretical Optical Physics, Optoelectronics, and Quantum Information Sciences. Participants will also attend workshops on a variety of topics including professional development and careers in physics, ethics and safety training, and engage in cohort activities with other students. This award reflects NSF's statutory mission and has been deemed worthy of support through evaluation using the Foundation's intellectual merit and broader impacts review criteria.
Applications from students that belong to underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged.
- Undergraduate Physics (or very closely related discipline) majors from 2-year and 4-year colleges
- Graduation date of Fall 2019 or later
- Permanent resident of the U.S. or U.S. citizen (NSF requirement)
- Travel to OSU (Stillwater, OK) and back to home institution
- $5,000 stipend
- Housing (suite-style single bedroom with shared living area)
- Meal plan allowance (you decide where and when to eat)
- Travel funds to present your research at a national APS meeting
Program dates: May 20 to July 28, 2019
Review of applications starts on February 15, 2019. Applications received after this date will be reviewed until all positions are filled. Please note that for best chance of selection, you must complete your application by the February 15 deadline.
Application steps:Fill out the application form available here: APPLY
The application form will ask you to provide the following information:
- Statement of goals. Your research interests, how the research will benefit you, and why you want to do the research.
- Provide a resume (1-page)
- Provide transcripts (unoficial transcripts are ok for applying but official transcripts will be required if selected)
- Contact information for one or two professors who can serve as references for you. We will contact them and request letters of recommendations. At least one letter of recommendation is required and two are recommended.
- If you are under 18, a letter of consent from parents/guardians will be required.
- If selected for the program, proof of permanent residency or U.S. citizenship will be required.
Dr. Sasha Khanov (email@example.com) and Dr. Mario Borunda (firstname.lastname@example.org) serve as program directors for the REU site. Please address any questions to them.